CPR/First Aid Hands-on Training in Phoenix, Arizona

Deadly Household Item for Children

Comments Off

11822761_10155937199415204_1939062868039236603_n

123 CPR is a family owned and operated company; when our son/grandson was thought to have swallowed a watch battery after finding one in his mouth this past summer, we sprung into action, rushed him to the emergency room and he was immediately given x-rays to determine that he didn’t swallow one, thank goodness! The reason we were so worried was because, the batteries can erode very quickly and cause severe tissue damage that can even lead to death! When sharing our story with family and friends, many people were completely unaware of these dangers, so we wanted to share them with you!!

According to the National Capital Poison Center:

“If anyone ingests a battery, this is what you should do:

  1. Immediately call the 24-hour National Battery Ingestion Hotline at 202-625-3333.
  2. If readily available, provide the battery identification number, found on the package or from a matching battery.
  3. In most cases, an x-ray must be obtained right away to be sure that the battery has gone through the esophagus into the stomach. (If the battery remains in the esophagus, it must be removed immediately. Most batteries move on to the stomach and can be allowed to pass by themselves.)  Based on the age of the patient and size of the battery, the National Battery Ingestion Hotline specialists can help you determine if an immediate x-ray is required.
  4. Don’t induce vomiting. Don’t eat or drink until the x-ray shows the battery is beyond the esophagus.
  5.  Watch for fever, abdominal pain, vomiting, or blood in the stools. Report these symptoms immediately.
  6. Check the stools until the battery has passed.
  7. Your physician or the emergency room may call the National Button Battery Ingestion Hotline at the National Capital Poison Center (202-625-3333) for consultation about button batteries. Expert advice is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Button batteries may also cause permanent injury when they are placed in the nose or the ears. Young children and elderly people have been particularly involved in this kind of incident. Symptoms to watch for are pain and/or a discharge from the nose or ears. DO NOT use nose or ear drops until the person has been examined by a physician, as these fluids can cause additional injury if a battery is involved.” — http://www.poison.org/battery

LR44_Button_Cell_Battery_IEC_Standard_Version

While we were very lucky, this little boy was almost not so lucky… check out this amazing story with unbelievable pictures of his long journey after he swallowed a button battery!

mj-godupdates-button-batteries-danger-1

UNBELIEVABLE STORY & PICTURES HERE

LEARN FACTS AND TREATMENTS FOR EMERGENCIES LIKE THE ONE ABOVE & MORE BY TAKING A CPR & FIRST AID CLASS WITH US! CALL US TODAY AT 623-398-5811 FOR MORE INFORMATION OR VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.123CPR.COM!!!